Momma, Get Yourself Checked!
Have you ever wondered why you should see a Women’s Health/Pelvic Health Physical Therapist during your pregnancy and after? I am here to tell you.
This isn’t about marketing, money, and fame – It’s about the true fact that I am a mom and I’ve lived through it. I even went to see my own physical therapist after the birth of my son and I am SO glad that I did. Leakage during pregnancy, pain with sex, constipation – Right here 🙋🏻♀️
Here are just a few of my favorite reasons why you should seek out care before and after birth of your baby:
1. Experts in labor & deliver positioning: For those of us with specialty training, utilizing us to find the best positions for you to labor AND deliver your baby can save your pelvis, pelvic floor muscles, perineal tissues (those around your vaginal opening) and help reduce stress on your baby during the process-Even with an epidural!!!
• We are your experts in musculoskeletal health. If you don’t believe me, next time you see your PCP, gynecologist, or midwife, ask them how much formal education they received in medical school – a few hours, at best. In our doctoral programs, we get three years + of muscles, bones, ligaments, tendons, joints, neurologics, and the list goes on and on. We can help you avoid problems before they even start! Talk about full-service.
•If you have any prior injuries to your back, pelvis, hips, knees, etc., we are able to help you manage your labor the best way possible to reduce pain and increase your stamina to withstand labor.
2. We are your vagina’s best friend! 1 in 4 women will experience pelvic floor dysfunction in their lifetime. 25%!!!! When you go to your girlfriend, sister, mother, aunt or anyone else you trust with your most personal issues, they may or may not give you the best, most up-to-date information. And, let’s face it, everyone’s pelvic issues are different and require different treatments. Not only are we able to help with issues like peeing yourself, painful sex, or constipation, we are also skilled at identifying issues that require medical evaluation by your MD, DO, CNM, NP, etc.
3. Aches and Pains, be gone. Did I mention that we are musculoskeletal experts? If you are having pain in your body while pregnant, remember, this is not something that you HAVE to deal with and we want to nip it in the bud sooner than later. Thirty percent of women with pelvic girdle pain during pregnancy will continue to have pain 12+ months after delivery. THAT’S HUGE! 🤕
4. Safe return to exercise: Did you know there are new guidelines for returning to running in the postpartum period? We know them and we can help you get back to your optimal wellness. We are also excellent at helping you get back to crossfit, yoga, pilates, swimming, biking, Judo and many more SAFELY. This will help to ensure to avoid injury and treat/prevent issues with leakage (pee, poop, or gas). Diastasis Recti issues? We got you covered on the most up-to-date info to get you back to your active self!
5. We know A LOT about GI, urologic, and reproductive health. We help you manage many aspects of your pelvic organ health through dietary recommendations to help aid in resolution of your complaints. Peeing every hour? Backed up and only pooping every 4 days (or more), pain from endometriosis or interstitial cystitis? Your Pelvic Health specialist can help! 👩🏻⚕️
Insurance covers physical therapy
You don’t need a prescription
Pittsburgh Pelvic Health is making it even easier for you to seek care, offering virtual doctor visits from any mobile device in any location you choose 🙌